Ania had first grade literacy night at school. She brought a letter home a few days before the event that had all the information about the event, and also mentioned that since this is a celebration of their achievements, they need to dress up and look spiffy for the event. I asked Ania what she would like to wear. She led me to her closet, looked through all dresses, crinkled her nose and declared, "I have nothing to wear. You need to make me a new dress!" You've got some nerve, girlfriend was my first thought. But then I also thought, that she probably would not be asking for a long time and that I need to do it while she still wants to wear my makes. So she got a new dress.
I have had the Verona Dress pattern by Jennuine Design since it was released, and I finally had a chance to make it. It's such a lovely pattern, well drafted and well done overall. It has no closures and is quite fast to make.
I made a few modifications to the pattern. It comes fully lined, but I wanted to make it more hot summer friendly and only lined the main bodice. I stitched in the ditch to attach the lining to the bodice. I also added a sash, for no particular reason.
Let's talk about the elephant, I mean flamingoes the size of elephants. I love them. I came across the fabric at some Chinese store. I was searching on Ali Express for some elastic and trims and realized that there were also stores that sold fabric. Unlike the elastic, it's not really cheaper, but there are some interesting finds, like the flamingoes above.
Just in case you need another view of the lovely flamingoes. The fabric is stretchy poplin. I really like it in garments. I sort of wish I made a skirt for myself instead of a dress for Ania. :)
The dress has a very cool neckline. I added buttons, they are covered with the leftoever flamingo. :) To purchase the pattern, go here. The pattern comes in PDF or paper format.